Before you hit the sales, take a look at the top 10 most directional colours predicted to be in for Spring Summer 2011 to ensure that you buy wisely.
Each season, Pantone surveys the designers of New York Fashion Week to identify the ten most directional colours, which will then filter down to High Street collections.
This season, Pantone have suggested that a key trend is to mix warm and cool colours together in an outfit. As a colour analyst, I don't usually recommend to do this but if you want to work the season's trend, make sure that you keep the cool colours away from your face if you have a warm skin tone and wear warm colours away from the face if you have a cool skin tone.
- Pantone 18-2120.
- Described as the perfect post-winter pick-me-up.
- Warmish pick red that will be used in apparel and cosmetics.
- Bold, vibrant, feminine and strong at the same time.
- It will look great against sharp, chic brights such as Poppy Red, Jade and Turquoise. It also plays well off Warm Tan shades of Khaki, Taupe and Golden Sand.
- Pantone 18-1235.
- A neutral to provide a backdrop for the Spring brights.
- Great for classic items that will last from season to season.
- Used across designer collections including Emilio Pucci, Emporio Armani, Lanvin and Marc Jacobs.
- Pantone 18-4330
- A cool refreshing blue.
- Great to work with warmer colours for this season's contrasting effect.
- Keep away from the face if you have a warm skin tone.
4. Silver Peony
- Pantone 12-1208
- A beigy blush.
- Bluish pink so great for cooler skin tones.
- Another good neutral to tone down the other spring brights.
- Fabrics will incorporate shimmer for an evening look.
5. Coral Rose
- Pantone 16-1349
- A spicy deep colour.
- Great for warm skin tones, especially Autumns with its richness and depth.
- Cooler skin tones should keep this away from the face.
- Pantone 14-0941
- A warm honeyed yellow.
- Great to pair with cooler colours for the season's colour combination trend.
- Better for a Spring as it's slightly brighter than the previous Coral Rose colour.
- Again, cooler skin tones should keep this away from the face.
- Pantone 14-6324
- A fresh yellow green.
- Reminiscent of the fresh green shoots that signal the beginning of spring.
- Depending on the amount of blue or yellow added to the hue, this will suit both cool and warmer skin tones.
Oscar de la Renta
- Pantone 15-3817
- Midnight lavender perfect for a summer.
- Romantic and feminine with a subtle red undertone.
- Pair with warm Beeswax or Coral Rose for a contemporary look.
9. Blue Curacao
- Pantone 15-4325
- Mediterranean blue with a subtle silvery undertone.
- Turquoise was the 2010 Pantone colour of the Year and this is how it has evolved for 2011.
- Blue Curacao will be a very prominent colour in swimwear.
10. Silver Cloud
- Pantone 15-4502
- A cool dusty grey.
- Another good neutral to pair with Poppy Red and Blue Curacao.
- Great for Summers and Winters.
Now you know what to look for in the sales, get shopping!
If you would like to find out whether you have a cool or warm skin tone and which season or tone you belong to, see the Perfecting You with Colourpage which explains more about the benefits of colour analysis. Alternatively, call Kate on 07813 797443 or email email@example.com for more information.